Pretty much my entire summer world was turned upside down last wednesday. I can no longer do yard work, lift weights, play softball, or waste my time looking for a job for at least another 4 or 5 weeks. I thought I was just supposed to be wary of the contact sports, but little did I know that tennis would be my downfall. On one of my lethal (almost literally) jump-serves--which I aced by the way--I came down and realized that instead of landing on the flat part of my right foot, it had bent inward under me. It was pretty painful, to say the least, even to a guy who played half a society football game with internal bleeding. Right away I noticed swelling, it looked like I had a second ankle bone right next to the normal one on the outside of my foot.
A visit to the E.R. the next day revealed I had sprained it badly...badly enough that when the ligament connecting to the top of the ankle pulled away it pulled off a small (less than a millimeter) piece of the bone. So they put a splint on it and sent me home to sit around and read, and watch movies, and sleep, and read, and watch movies, and read some more...it was horrendous.
Today I had an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor, who confirmed that it was "only" a bad sprain and that the total recovery time would be six to eight weeks (at least five to six weeks too long). He was merciful enough to give me a walking-boot. Which means I can be up and around a whole lot more. The unfortunate thing is that my ankle was still swollen, black and blue and very tender...so putting weight on it will take a couple days as will walking without the crutches.
During the past week I have realized what it feels like to be helpless. I couldn't walk right, stand right, I was barely able to clothe myself, I relied on others to bring me what I needed. It is times like these that make me stop and count my blessings, at least it will "only" take 6 to 8 weeks to heal. And I don't have to totally relearn how to walk. My younger brother was on crutches for two months and when he was off of them he had to relearn how to walk.
Oh yeah...friday I had an interview at Kohl's, I went even though I was on crutches with a bandaged up ankle, and they sent me a very nice letter today...it said that they weren't hiring me.
A visit to the E.R. the next day revealed I had sprained it badly...badly enough that when the ligament connecting to the top of the ankle pulled away it pulled off a small (less than a millimeter) piece of the bone. So they put a splint on it and sent me home to sit around and read, and watch movies, and sleep, and read, and watch movies, and read some more...it was horrendous.
Today I had an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor, who confirmed that it was "only" a bad sprain and that the total recovery time would be six to eight weeks (at least five to six weeks too long). He was merciful enough to give me a walking-boot. Which means I can be up and around a whole lot more. The unfortunate thing is that my ankle was still swollen, black and blue and very tender...so putting weight on it will take a couple days as will walking without the crutches.
During the past week I have realized what it feels like to be helpless. I couldn't walk right, stand right, I was barely able to clothe myself, I relied on others to bring me what I needed. It is times like these that make me stop and count my blessings, at least it will "only" take 6 to 8 weeks to heal. And I don't have to totally relearn how to walk. My younger brother was on crutches for two months and when he was off of them he had to relearn how to walk.
Oh yeah...friday I had an interview at Kohl's, I went even though I was on crutches with a bandaged up ankle, and they sent me a very nice letter today...it said that they weren't hiring me.

1 Comments:
I can't believe how sad your summer has been, or so it seems that way. I'll pray that your ankle will heal quickly. You can get some good rest before school starts again =)
Post a Comment
<< Home