So last week I got to spend the week at Rocky Mountain Friends of Florida College Camp in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. I must say it was the highlight of a lame summer.
Sunday was the day that all the campers got there, so I spent most of the day introducing myself, carrying around luggage and getting (re)acquainted with all the campers.
Monday we embarked on the Team's Course; an all day experience that strives to develop communication and teamwork on our team: the Spleen Machine. It was a bit rocky for the first half but at the end of the day we breezed through the last obstacle: the meat grinder.Tuesday was a sports day...The Spleen Machine got beat 2-0 in soccer but we had fun doing it! In the afternoon the kids had time to do archery, wall climbing and bike riding. Although I am a fan of the bike riding myself (it is some serious offroad mountain biking--switchbacks on dirt trails and hills that make grown men cry) because of my ankle I just decided to watch the kids do archery and climb the wall. I ended up spending most of my time cheering people on while they climbed the rock climbing wall.Wednesday was Wild West day. After playing 3-ball(a game similar to baseball), the Spleens were 1-1 in sporting events. In the afternoon we played the Wild Wild West game...a spectacular game filled with gold rushes, scalping and other such activities.Thursday we played an old favorite: VVOOLLEEYYBBAALL!!! Josh Fisher and I particapated in this one...but unfortunately the Spleen machine was defeated. That afternoon we played a game invented by the Sonlight Staff--Indiana Jones...a definite great game!Friday (the last full day, tear), we spent playing crazy games. Including a game invented by yours truly that involved running around with a peeled orange beneath your chin and then having one person on the team eat it.It was a great week...we had two bible studies every day. We studied the Heart of David--the poet, warrior, etc...The late night Bible study--a singing out by the campfire with a short devotional; we spent the time learning about the Psalms of David. I learned a lot about David and a lot about myself through the studies.After such a bummer of a summer I would have to say that GOD had a hand in my week at camp. I had been really down on myself--kinda woe is me. But one family in particular blew that attitude out of the water. Jake McNally and his Sister AnneMarie were there. I remember Jake from 4 years ago when he was a crazy kid. He would be bouncing off the walls, never letting me take a nap, throwing things at me and such. This week I saw an always positive, upbeat, humble, down to earth often quiet kid. And his sister is outgoing, always upbeat, kinda crazy, has a smile that lights up the room...such a cute little girl.The thing that strikes me most about the McNally's is that their mother has cancer...and yet they are always smiling, always upbeat and positive. It really put my situation in perspective, made me realize that perhaps I am not so bad off afterall.
Sunday was the day that all the campers got there, so I spent most of the day introducing myself, carrying around luggage and getting (re)acquainted with all the campers.
Monday we embarked on the Team's Course; an all day experience that strives to develop communication and teamwork on our team: the Spleen Machine. It was a bit rocky for the first half but at the end of the day we breezed through the last obstacle: the meat grinder.Tuesday was a sports day...The Spleen Machine got beat 2-0 in soccer but we had fun doing it! In the afternoon the kids had time to do archery, wall climbing and bike riding. Although I am a fan of the bike riding myself (it is some serious offroad mountain biking--switchbacks on dirt trails and hills that make grown men cry) because of my ankle I just decided to watch the kids do archery and climb the wall. I ended up spending most of my time cheering people on while they climbed the rock climbing wall.Wednesday was Wild West day. After playing 3-ball(a game similar to baseball), the Spleens were 1-1 in sporting events. In the afternoon we played the Wild Wild West game...a spectacular game filled with gold rushes, scalping and other such activities.Thursday we played an old favorite: VVOOLLEEYYBBAALL!!! Josh Fisher and I particapated in this one...but unfortunately the Spleen machine was defeated. That afternoon we played a game invented by the Sonlight Staff--Indiana Jones...a definite great game!Friday (the last full day, tear), we spent playing crazy games. Including a game invented by yours truly that involved running around with a peeled orange beneath your chin and then having one person on the team eat it.It was a great week...we had two bible studies every day. We studied the Heart of David--the poet, warrior, etc...The late night Bible study--a singing out by the campfire with a short devotional; we spent the time learning about the Psalms of David. I learned a lot about David and a lot about myself through the studies.After such a bummer of a summer I would have to say that GOD had a hand in my week at camp. I had been really down on myself--kinda woe is me. But one family in particular blew that attitude out of the water. Jake McNally and his Sister AnneMarie were there. I remember Jake from 4 years ago when he was a crazy kid. He would be bouncing off the walls, never letting me take a nap, throwing things at me and such. This week I saw an always positive, upbeat, humble, down to earth often quiet kid. And his sister is outgoing, always upbeat, kinda crazy, has a smile that lights up the room...such a cute little girl.The thing that strikes me most about the McNally's is that their mother has cancer...and yet they are always smiling, always upbeat and positive. It really put my situation in perspective, made me realize that perhaps I am not so bad off afterall.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home